[Rasch] General Procedure for Testing Validity and Reliability Using Rasch

Ev Smith evsmith at uic.edu
Fri Aug 15 04:24:41 EST 2008

Here are references to updated versions of the 2001 Smith ms. They 2 ms
cover instrument development (MC, rating scales, rubrics) and
analysis (with Rasch models) to address the aspects of Messick's view of
unified validity.

Ev

Wolfe, E.W., & Smith, Jr. E.V. (2007). Instrument Development Tools and
Activities
for Measure Validation Using Rasch Models: Part I­Instrument Development
Tools. Journal of Applied Measurement, 8, 97-123.

Wolfe, E.W., & Smith, Jr. E.V. (2007). Instrument Development Tools and
Activities
for Measure Validation Using Rasch Models: Part II­Validation Activities.
Journal of Applied Measurement, 8, 204-233.

At 01:19 PM 8/14/2008, Roger Graves wrote:
>Here is one reference on this.
>
>Smith, E. V., Jr. (2001). Evidence for the reliability
>of measures and validity of measure
>interpretation: a Rasch measurement perspective.
>Journal of Applied Measurement, 2, 281-
>311.
>
>Roger Graves
>Victoria, BC
>Canada
>
>On 13-Aug-08, at 12:18 AM, Juanito Talili wrote:
>
>>Hello Rasch modelers,
>>
>>I want to know how Rasch validate an instrument.  That is, what is
>>the general procedure for testing validity and reliability of an
>>instrument using Rasch methodology?  Comments are welcome.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>
>>Juanito Talili
>>Spain

Everett Smith, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Educational Psychology
Director, Measurement, Evaluation, Statistics, and Assessment Lab (
http://www.uic.edu/depts/educ/mesalab/)
Associate Editor, Journal of Applied Measurement ( http://www.jampress.org)
For the Ph.D. in MESA visit
http://education.uic.edu/epsy-phd/degreerequirements.cfm