[RE][Rasch] Prameter to observation ratio?

Stephen Humphry stephen.humphry at uwa.edu.au
Thu Feb 14 17:49:37 EST 2008

Iasonas, I agree with you and think you make very good points. Targeting is
important for information, which is important for the precision of item
estimates. This becomes obvious in extreme cases -- for dichotomous items,
if almost all responses are 1s, while 0s are rare, then more responses will
not help.

Rasch (1977) described that "whole context for testing", to which you refer,
as the frame of reference. DIF and violations of local dependence, in any
form, are also important.  Mike Linacre refers to targeting and DIF in the
RMT article to which you referred.

Purya, it seems you mention two different things. First, you mentioned the
parameter to observation ratio. To me, this implies the ratio of the number
of responses to the number of parameters; i.e. for both items and persons in
combination. In general, this is different from the "ratio of parameters to
persons" to which you later refer, though the two are of course related for
a given number of items. Anyhow, though interesting questions when 'all esle
is equal', I don't know how useful it is to ask them in general terms: I
think it's better to be concerned with good fit and acceptable standard
errors for the purposes at hand.

Steve

Dr Stephen Humphry
Graduate School of Education