[Rasch] Invariance

Stephen Humphry stephen.humphry at uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 10 12:11:07 EST 2008

Hi Anthony.

Rasch certainly maintaned invariance to be essential for measurement, and that separability is a requirement for invariance. In his words ...

"The comparison between two stimuli should be independent of which particular individuals were instrumental for the comparison; and it should also be independent of which other stimuli within the considered class were or might also have been compared ... Symmetrically, a comparison between two individuals should be independent of which particular stimuli within the class considered were instrumental for the comparison; and it should also be independent of which other individuals were also compared, on the same or some other occasion" (Rasch, 1961, p. 332).

Rasch demonstrated that the principle of invariance is characteristic of measurement in physics using, as an example, a two-way experimental frame of reference like that in Rasch (1960, p. 112), in which instruments exert mechanical forces upon solid bodies to produce accelerations. Rasch (1960/1980, pp. 112‑3) stated of this context: “Generally: If for any two objects we find a certain ratio of their accelerations produced by one instrument, then the same ratio will be found for any other of the instruments”. This is again the essence of invariance.

I can't speak for others, but personally I wouldn't state it as a matter of belief, rather as a matter of a fundamental necessary requirement of measurement, generally, shown on the basis of careful analysis of measurement in physics.

Hope that helps.

Steve

  _____