[Rasch] Rasch and Missing data

Agustin Tristan ici_kalt at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 02:58:43 EST 2008

Hello Thomas,
You write:
" the score out of the three easy items can't be compared to the score on the three hardest items. You have to convert raw scores to linear measures first to derive comparable measures."

The explanation concerning raw score and true measures is very difficult to maintain when you see the results of any Rasch analysis program if there are no missing answers. If you have 3 correct answers in a test of 30 dichotomous items, even if you have the 3/30 hardest and me the 3/30 most easy, you and me will have the same measure (same raw score by the way), but we shall have different fit. If I see the output of a Rasch analysis, you will have 3/30 as me, you will have a measure say -2.0 as me! Measure alone will not reflect the difference of items we did answer.

Probably the idea is related to have 3/20 (and 10 missing) and me 3/30 (without missing), evidently your "3" is not equal to my "3" in this case as we answered a different set of items. The explanation has to be different in the first case where we both had 3/30, and so your "3" difficult items produce the same measure as my "3" easy items.

Yours.
Agustin

FAMILIA DE PROGRAMAS KALT.
Ave. Cordillera Occidental  No. 635
Colonia  Lomas 4ª San Luis Potosí, San Luis Potosí.
C.P.  78216   MEXICO
 (52) (444) 8 25 50 76
 (52) (444) 8 25 50 77
 (52) (444) 8 25 50 78