[Rasch] quantifying departure from "invariance of item difficulties" or from "unidimensionality"

l.tesio at auxologico.it l.tesio at auxologico.it
Sun Jul 6 19:07:47 EST 2008

Mike's reply is (as usual) the sharpest one can expect. Nonetheless, as a non-statistician may I reinforce  the idea that  measures (including Rasch fitting measures) are not decisions in themselves. Good or bad, enough/not enough etc. come from the interactions with criteria external to the measures themselves.
Using confidence limits or percentiles is a way to define certain measures (decision: p<0.05,p<0.01)  as unlikely enough to be "significant" with respect to a null hypothethesis (again an expterna decision).  Decisions rarely come from a unique interaction: in clinical practice, a diagnosis is a decision (a given disease is there or not).  Yet, measures (eg blood cell counts, serum levels of glucose or proteins...) must interact with each other and with other decisions (is your lab reliable? is a give disease detected in patient's history? are the patient's relatives affected by the same disease) etc. etc.
Rasch "enthousiasts" (and I am one) tend to ask  a good measure to behave as a decision in itself.

LT