[Rasch] Fitting the RM

Anthony James luckyantonio2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 19:57:27 EST 2008

Dear all,
I have come across expressions such as “fitting the Rasch model (or 2PL, 3PL) to Test X” or “the Rasch model fits (or does not fit)”, “the Rasch model was fitted”.
My question is when we “fit the Rasch model to a test” we are more emphasizing the model rather than the data. I was curious to know if these wordings have any special meaning and implications. Or do they simply mean Rasch analyzing the data and finding the misfitting items and persons and other routine analyses?
CheersAnthony