[Rasch] What does measurement really mean?

Juho Looveer juho.looveer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 19:35:38 EST 2008

I recently looked up a website for a group called "Infometrics"  (
http://www.infometrics.com.au/index.htm)
On their Home Page they include the two definition below:

I was most interested in the last sentence.
Do we Rasch-ists merely employ a definition suitable for our extremely
narrow field?

Regards
Juho

Dr Juho M Looveer

Info (n. abr.)— an abbreviation of INFORMATION.  Information results from
the collection, collation, analysis and interpretation of raw data

Metrics (n.)— measurements, taken over time, that monitor, assess and
communicate vital information about a process or activity. Metrics can be
both quantitative and qualitative