[Rasch] Invariance of Item Difficulty, Northwest Evaluation Association "MAP" test

Trevor Bond trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Fri Jul 11 06:04:36 EST 2008

Dear Steve et al,

The NWEA evidence for item invariance is absolutely stunning.

As Carly Simon sings about my name-sake Bond, James Bond:
	Nobody does it better,
	Makes you feel sad for the rest
	Nobody does it half as good as you...etc"

As to whether learning Maths, say, by radical constructivism produces
a meaningfully different item order from the ubiquitous drill and
kill approach, is an open question: philosophically and empirically.
Kingsbury's evidence for invariance suggests very strongly that NWEA
items are anchored in bedrock

You ask this:  Thus, if what my school is doing differs from what the
state is doing by no more than typical 2003 instruction differed from
typical 1983 instruction, I'll probably be ok?

My reply: Even if your school is different, it needs to be different
from the schools that produced all of those calibration checks across
SEVEN states for up to 20 years.

AND who is going to subject kids to 6 days of Maths testing and why?

Best wishes
TGB
"Nobody Does It Better" is a power ballad composed by Marvin Hamlisch
with lyrics by Carole Bayer Sager. It was recorded by Carly Simon as
the theme song for the 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me. It
was the first Bond theme song to be titled differently from the name
of the film, although the phrase "the spy who loved me" is included
in the lyrics. Released as a single from the film's soundtrack album,
the song became a hit (reaching #2 on the US singles chart and #1 on
the Adult Contemporary chart) and is still popular today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobody_Does_It_Better

--
Trevor G BOND Ph D
Professor and Head of Dept