[Rasch] Rasch analysis of interval data

Stephen Humphry shumphry at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 23 05:56:07 EST 2008

Mark, you say:

> I think your point is amplified by a simple desktop experiment.  Lay a ruler
> on a sheet of paper.  Draw dots (representing persons, say) in various
> distributions on the paper.  For each centimeter increment on the ruler
> (representing items), count the dots above and below that increment and
> calculate their log ratio.  One finds that the logit spacings of the ruler
> increments may be highly unequal (unlike the centimeters), depending on how
> one distributes the dots.  If one distributes the dots equally up and down
> the ruler, the logit lengths between increments appear to get fatter at the
> extremes.  If one clumps the dots in multiple modes, the logit lengths can
> be distorted in all sorts of cool ways.  Interestingly, as the distribution
> approaches normal, the logit lengths between increments seem to approach a
> linear relationship with the centimeters, (I don't have a proof for why this
> would be true, but presumably it has something to do with the relationship
> between the logistic and normal distributions and may account for the
> similarity between independently calibrated scales).

The problem is that if the cm increments are taken to be analogous to
items the dots you describe do not represent person locations as
modeled in the dichotomous Rasch model. The conditional expression of
the dichotomous Rasch model has no person parameters. Given the way
you are obtaining logits, the dots are analogous to the errors in
Thurstone's Case V of the law of comparative judgment, in which there
is only one kind of parameter (for items or a stimulus). The law of
comparative judgment is the same as the Bradley-Terry-Luce model, when
the logistic applies not the cumulative normal. You are correct about
the reason the logits have apprxomiately a linear correspondence with
cm when the distribution approaches normality. However, treating the
dots as persons in the case you describe is incompatible with the
dichotomous Rasch model; so the conclusions reached have nothing to do
with the dichotomous Rasch model.

Thining in terms of Thurstone's model, in your computation of logits
you are treating the dots as errors but in your analogy you are
treating the dots as person locations. A quick response but I'm pretty
sure that is the problem.

Steve