[Rasch] Help with equating partial credit items in pre - post test

Stone, Gregory gstone at UTNet.UToledo.Edu
Sun Jun 1 20:46:34 EST 2008

Mike

I've done this several times when the N is too small.  My question regards local independence.  When I've done this in the past, I've (we've) assessed the items for overfit and exceptionally high point-biserials.  It isn't perfect, but it can give us an idea as to whether or not the requirement of local independence is met, even for the calculation of item difficulties.  Some journals are requiring this to be done.  So ...

Is this really important in the estimation process for the purpose of equating?  (local independence)

Overfitting items ... does the fit help us with detecting them?  What happens if you find them?

Thanks!

Gregory

Gregory E. Stone, Ph.D., M.A.

Associate Professor of Research and Measurement
The Judith Herb College of Education
The University of Toledo, Mailstop #921
Toledo, OH 43606   419-530-7224

Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Measurement     www.jampress.org