[Rasch] CAT ability estimation

Gary Buck garybuck at umich.edu
Tue Jun 3 06:45:37 EST 2008

I wonder whether anyone can help?

I am in the process of designing a web-based CAT. I feel I have a fairly
good idea of most of the issues involved, except how to estimate the
persons¹ Rasch measure based in their responses to a string of calibrated
items.

I know there are different estimation procedures, and some are
computationally less demanding and presumably less accurate, and visa versa.
A discussion of the relative merits of each would be much appreciated, since
the server has to calculate all the ability estimates.

Kind regards,
Gary
U of Michigan