[Rasch] Re: CAT ability estimation

Gary Buck garybuck at umich.edu
Wed Jun 4 04:22:47 EST 2008

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Given your recommendation to use MLE, I
have a follow up question that is really rather stupid‹rather like asking
how long is a piece of string, but the issue is important so any response
would be much appreciated.

Since this CAT will be administered over the web, and hence all the
calculations take place in real time on one server, simultaneously for a
number of test takers, do you think that MLE is still feasible? In other
words, are typical modern computers (i.e. A smallish dedicated Sun
web-server) capable of carrying out a number of simultaneous MLE
calculations?

Many thanks,
Gary