[Rasch] Unidimensionality

Steven L. Kramer skramer1958 at verizon.net
Thu May 8 06:41:46 EST 2008

I too am trying to understand how unidimensionality looks in Rasch. Michael, I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Lets say I have some easier multidigit whole number multiplication problems (no calculator permitted)

A. 28 * 91

some harder ones

B. 374*68

and some very hard ones

C. 2,986 * 77,864

Similarly, I have easy, hard and very hard long division

D. 527/6

E. 3,588/21

F. 4,877,864/876

Are you saying that a factor analysis might find two factors (multiplication and division) whereas Rasch might find one?  If so, I'd have to question the Rasch answer.
Or, am I misunderstanding?

Steve Kramer