[Rasch] Unidimensionality

Trevor Bond trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Thu May 8 09:12:04 EST 2008

>Dear Antony

what comes first, the measure or the residuals ?

>In a couple of papers I noticed that the researchers before using
>Rasch model or IRT models first use factor analysis to ascertain
>unidimensionality. Since unidimensionality is a prerequisite to use
>IRT models. They give the impression that only after FA has shown
>that the test is unidimensioanl, one can use Rasch or IRT models.
>
>Is this really necessary? Isn't the Rasch model itself a technique,
>superior to FA, to demonstrate unidimensionality?

my view is:
1 find and remove the Rasch dimension
2 use FA of the residuals to determine if sufficient structure exists
in those residuals to infer more than one dimension in the data - the
residuals should be randomly distributed.

For mine: FA used before RM misses the point of RM
best
Trevor G BOND Ph D
Professor and Head of Dept
Educational Psychology, Counselling & Learning Needs
D2-2F-01A EPCL Dept.
Hong Kong Institute of Education
10 Lo Ping Rd, Tai Po
New Territories HONG KONG