[Rasch] Unidimensionality

Steven L. Kramer skramer1958 at verizon.net
Fri May 9 00:00:21 EST 2008

Dear Antony, Trevor, and Rasch Modelers,

Understanding "dimensionality" is very important to the work I do--and I
need some help on this.

I have looked at math curriculum effects on student learning.  And at the
intersection between testing, instruction, and math curriculum.

When you compare curricula, the "unidimensionality" assumption is often
violated by-design.  As an extreme example:  imagine testing tenth graders
in algebra and geometry knowledge.  Half of them have taken Algebra 1
followed by Algebra 2.  (They are scheduled to take Euclidean Geometry until
eleventh grade) The other half have taken Algebra 1 followed by Geometry.
(They are scheduled to take Algebra 2 in eleventh grade.)  Clearly, the test
cannot be unidimensional.  And I know that forcing the test at that time
into a Rasch model would be a bad idea--but what if the school system does
it anyway?  What flags would show up to indicate a problem?  And what would
the "Rasch dimension" mean when it was extracted?

This is an extreme example of a practical problem I run into all the time.
I'll send another email with the actual practical problem--but dealing with
the extreme case (above) would give me a sense of the "boundary" solution
and probably help me understand the theory better than would dealing with my
current "real" issue.  (To avoid distraction, I'm not including the actual
problem in this email.)

Steve Kramer