[Rasch] Unidimensionality (follow up with the practical issue)

Stephen Humphry shumphry at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sat May 10 22:00:07 EST 2008

I think the problem lies in confusion regarding the terms
'multidimensionality' and 'unidimensional'.

To claim that ability or mental attributes are 'multidimensional'
potentially confuses the geometric representation of correlations with
the idea of an actual mental or psychological "space" in which things
and phenomena genuinely exist statically and/or dynamically. Physical
pace is actually three-dimensional, but nothing else has been shown to
be actually multidimensional in this sense.

And correlation is contingent; correlation doesn't reveal causes, only
experiments do. If physicists measurement using methods premised on
correlation, confusion would reign.

Otherwise, multidimensional might simply mean test results depend on
more than one attibute, each of which could in principle be measured
indepdently, with relationships contingent on other factors. In the
latter sense, most dimensions in physics could be called
'multidimensional'. The mass of an object depends on its volume and
density, but that doesn't mean it can't be measured.

Steve