[Rasch] Unidimensionality

Trevor Bond trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Tue May 13 10:21:39 EST 2008

Dear Joe,

While we have these important theoretical
discussions about what we can't yet do or what we
should be doing etc., at least this is a forum
where we have such discussions.

At present, the use of the Rasch model, as you
summarize it below, is the best we have on offer
to do just what you want.

Take Theo's warning to heart about adding unlike
things together and move forward carefully and
reflectively.

Steve's original question arose in a particular
(and not infrequent) context: a bunch of
curriculum experts and accountability bureaucrats
got together and constructed tests and decided
cut scores by working from merely adding raw
scores together.

Steve's question was based on his idea that RM
could do better than that...but how?

Too often we are called upon to make a silk purse
out of a sow's ear...but if you have to , use RM
reflectively and iteratively and aim to have
people LEARN about testing and cut-scores in the
process.

Gregory STONE (UToleo) has done some good work on
using RM to develop defensible cut scores.

best
TGB

At 5:28 PM -0400 5/12/08, Joe Albano wrote:

>Pardon my ignorance, but I'm trying (1) to learn
>and (2) to apply some of this to upcoming work.
>Does this all translate into a practical
>observation that if fix statistics are
>reasonable (without entering into a debate about
>what constitutes reasonable fit stats) and
>residuals are sufficiently low (ibid) the
>measure can be considered unidimensional (even
>if, in "fact" the measure characterizes multiple
>"dimensions" that co-vary in lock step)? Said
>another way, can a measure be unidimensional, by
>Rasch standards, without the requirement that
>the underlying phenomenon of interest be
>unidimensional?
>
>*IF* this is true I have another question - but
>I'll wait to have this attempt to test my
>knowledge shot down first, before asking an
>equally naïve follow-up J
>
>Best regards,
>
>Joe.
>
>Joe Albano
>joealbano2 at earthlink.net

Trevor G BOND Ph D
Professor and Head of Dept
Educational Psychology, Counselling & Learning Needs
D2-2F-01A EPCL Dept.
Hong Kong Institute of Education
10 Lo Ping Rd, Tai Po
New Territories HONG KONG