[Rasch] Dimensionality and Correlation

Anthony James luckyantonio2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 18:39:17 EST 2008

Dear all,
I have difficulty understanding the difference between dimensionality and correlation. I have seen several times in the literature that people talk about correlated dimensions and uncorrelated dimensions. I was always under the impression that if two dimensions are correlated then they are not two separate dimensions. They are one. But apparently, this is not true and there can be two separate, and at the same time, correlated dimensions. Is that right? I’d be grateful for any comments on the relationship between correlation and dimensionality. Apparantly corrlation doesn't have much to do with unidimensionality.
Cheers
Anthony