[Rasch] Dimensionality and Correlation

Mark Moulton markhmoulton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 09:25:26 EST 2008

Stephen,
Great response to Anthony's question!

The only thing I want to add is that dimensions tend to become uncorrelated
to the degree the objects (e.g., persons) are randomly drawn from the
population of all possible objects.  However, the objects studied in
education and social science, and in science at large, tend to be sampled in
highly non-random ways.  When kids go to school they study Math and Language
in tandem, causing the subject areas to have high correlations artifactually
caused by the students having school in common.  However, in a hypothetical
society without school where people learn things at random, Math and
Language scores would have a lower correlation.

This can bite us in Rasch fit analysis, as has been noted in previous
discussions.  Items may appear to fit very well (i.e., be highly correlated)
simply because all the students experience a similar curriculum.  When a
subsample of students experiences a different kind of curriculum, the same
items may end up with different relative difficulties.  In these cases,
Rasch is not giving us sample free statistics and we don't know it.  The
only remedy is either to constrain ourselves to students who have
experienced a similar curriculum, or to use items whose difficulties are
robust across different curricula.

Mark Moulton
Educational Data Systems