[Rasch] Pairwise comparisons

Timothy W. Pelton tpelton at uvic.ca
Wed Sep 3 05:12:29 EST 2008

Hi,

You are right - you would have too many comparisons for the participants to get through in a reasonable amount of time.  Not to mention that the obviously aberrant responses would add nothing to your results.    A couple of years back I worked with a student develop a utility to support the presentation and collection of pairwise comparisions - with a mechanism to support the pre-ordering of items and limiting the comparisions to nearby comparisons.  I've used it to compare lengths of physical rods to recollected attributes of common exemplars ( pop can, basketball, orange, etc.).  The process seemed to work well for the participants.  Unfortunately I don't have a published paper to share with you yet - but I would be happy to share what I have with interested parties.

Tim

> on 31/08/08 3:25 PM, Donald Bacon at dbacon at du.edu wrote:

Hi Raschers --
   I'm working on a project that involves pairwise comparisons.  There are so many objects that I'm afraid I'll have too many comparisons for each respondent to rate (I'm worried about fatigue).  There must be a systematic way to divide the comparisons, so I can show some comparisons to some respondents and other comparisons to other respondents.  I don't think I will need individual estimates of the pairwise comparisons, just group-level estimates.
   Does anyone know of a citation that might be useful to me?

Thanks --

Don Bacon
Professor of Marketing
University of Denver