[Rasch] Difficulty & fit

Timothy Pelton tpelton at uvic.ca
Wed Dec 30 04:06:41 EST 2009

If you allow that the  items might have some variation in their discriminations (for convenience I call this independent multidimensionality) then the most difficult and least difficult items tend to exhibit the greatest degree of misfit because the item parameter estimates in such situations are subject to the greatest amount of bias.  Note also that the SE estimates are systematically underestimated by the Rasch Model whenever the data contains deviations from the assumptions.

I presented a paper at IOMW 2002 in which I describe a simulation study that demonstrates some of the limits to the Rasch advantage when the assumptions are not met  (sorry I haven't managed to resubmit it for publication yet).

Tim

Tim Pelton
Associate Professor
Faculty of Education