[Rasch] Test Translation & DIF

Anthony James luckyantonio2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 04:05:47 EST 2009

Thanks for your comments,
I’m aware of the problems that may occur in test translation. I wanted to know what analytical and psychometric activities can be done to make sure of translation equivalence after translating the instrument and carrying out the qualitative works.
Matt’s paper is very helpful. He states that item fit, person fit, item difficulty estimates and step calibrations should be comparable across groups. Now a clerical question:
In order to compare item estimates one cannot run separate analyses, I think. The two versions must be linked. I’m using Winsteps. Can I just enter the items once and then enter the responses of the two language groups under one set of item labels as if all have taken the same test and then run DIF analysis? Or should I have a bilingual group who takes half of the items in one of the languages and the second half in the other language and use this group to link the items?
Anthony