[Rasch] Journal of applied measurement

Stone, Gregory gstone at UTNet.UToledo.Edu
Fri Jan 30 02:14:17 EST 2009

Commenting on this string, here are a few thoughts.

Publishing a journal is a terribly expensive endeavor.  Subscriptions are available and JAM would welcome those requests.

One of the issues facing all journals and confounding efforts to ensure access through libraries, etc. is the unfair and generally silly ratings of journals.  These ratings are based almost exclusively on number of subscriptions.  Lots of subscriptions = a great journal, according to this rating system.  Many university libraries unfortunately work from this listing during their approval process, and decline to subscribe for this reason.  Without library (or personal) subscriptions, it is difficult to disseminate the journal.  Most university system libraries have mechanisms for requesting subscriptions.  I suggest that faculty make such requests.  This would allow easy access to all faculty and students.

Additionally, those search engines with full PDF journal articles that many/most universities offer are not free.  In fact, they are quite expensive.  Libraries in Ohio, for instance, pay hefty subscription fees to "Ohio Link" (our version of this system).  Ohio Link serves as a clearinghouse.  They, in turn, pay the journal for this right.  Journals cannot continue to operate without funding, and no journal I am aware of provides a completely free service.  Springer, LEA, Sage, etc. all charge fees either directly to the user for single articles or via a site license through clearinghouse systems.  I cannot speak to whether inclusion of JAM would be considered for inclusion by the clearinghouses or not.  Again, they often work through the ranking system.

I agree that access is very important, for many reasons.  I'm certain suggestions would be welcomed.

Gregory E. Stone, Ph.D., M.A.

Associate Professor of Research and Measurement
Judith Herb College of Education   University of Toledo, MS #921
Toledo, OH 43606   419-530-7224

-----Original Message-----
From: rasch-bounces at acer.edu.au on behalf of Deidra Young
Sent: Thu 1/29/2009 12:45 AM
To: Andrej Kastrin; rasch at acer.edu.au
Subject: RE: [Rasch] Journal of applied measurement

Just to reflect on this request.  The Journal of Applied Measurement is a useful journal which is almost totally inaccessible electronically.  If anyone else has had a problem with accessing this journal, perhaps they could voice their concern at this forum.  If we could download articles in pdf format, the articles would be more readily available, especially to those in developing countries.  Here in Australia I could not access this journal via the university library or via any of the usual subscriptions.  I had to plead with Everett to send me photocopies of the articles I was after.  This journal has the potential to have great influence, but if no-one can read the articles easily, then it seems to me to have a limited readership.

I am interested in the promotion and distribution of Rasch articles but have decided to publish in the medical journals which are easy to access around the world.  Perhaps others may have a comment to make about access to this journal?  We can't subscribe to all journals and university access is a much better way to search for articles and download them (for research and teaching purposes).

Kind regards,

Deidra

Deidra Young, PhD
Senior Research Officer