[Rasch] Journal of applied measurement

Paul Barrett pbarrett at hoganassessments.com
Fri Jan 30 06:15:04 EST 2009

Hello Greg,

I would have thought you could ask one of the big publishers Sage,
Elsevier, Tayor and Francis, Hogrefe etc. to take the journal under
their wing and set it up within the ScienceDirect or Ingenta or
Informaworld or Hogrefe electronic distribution systems.

Unlike a "prospective" sales pitch (!) - you have a society already
on-tap  a loyal set of instant subscribers, and a unique domain of
interest. Last time I heard (2005), the Journal of Mathematical
Psychology had only 92 subscribers!! Yet it's published loyally by
Elsevier and fully electronic etc.

I'm certain subscriptions would near double if the journal was hosted by
a mainline publisher.

Alternatively, perhaps speak with your ISP. Like mine, I'm sure they
might host/operate a secure credit card authorization cart/checkout
system - which you could set up in order that all articles from all
issues could be downloaded at least as "chargeable" items. OK - big job
to create the pdfs and create a rudimentary interface (nothing fancy - a
page per issue perhaps) .. but that would provide electronic access to
the papers.

You could operate a two-tier charge - free to members, $30 or so to
others (as do the large publishers). I know, some database work etc. but
a good IT student (for a few $) should be able to set things up (for
member access etc.)

Just a few thoughts!

Regards .. Paul

P.S. I know _ I should be subscribing myself. When I return to the US in
June, I promise I'll subscribe again - but I'm afraid I lost interest in
all things "latent", IRT, and Rasch post-Michell and Maraun.

Paul Barrett, Ph.D.

2622 East 21st Street | Tulsa, OK  74114

Chief Research Scientist

Office | 918.749.0632  Fax | 918.749.0635

pbarrett at hoganassessments.com

hoganassessments.com <http://www.hoganassessments.com/>