[Rasch] Separation

Anthony James luckyantonio2003 at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 05:05:52 EST 2009

Dear folks,
A friend of mine and I have always had this question:
It is possible to mathematically separate perosn measures from the item measures in the Rasch model. This can be shown by some maths exercises.
However, when it comes to practical estimation of person and item parameters, we resort to jointly estimating them from one single equation (this is the only estimation method that I know,which is JML). I can't grasp the point of separation. That is, there's no single equation to give perosn  parameters independent of item parameters and vice versa. I'm wondring how separation is implemented in parameter estimation.
Thanks for comments
Cheers
Anthony