[Rasch] analysing CTT construct using IRT

Mike Linacre (RMT) rmt at rasch.org
Tue Oct 27 11:25:09 EST 2009

Kate:

Thank you for telling us about your research. Please help us to understand
the situation better ....

Are you talking about the Test Characteristic Curve = raw-score to measure
transformation (higher measures for higher scores)
or
the Test Information Function = precision of the measures (usually peaks
near the center of the test) ?

Mike Linacre

At 10/26/2009, you wrote:
>Dear Listers,
>I am very new to the IRT field so please forgive me if my question is too
>simplistic.
>I am using the PISA 2006 data for my doctoral dissertation and so far I
>have been using CFA methods for analysing the construct properties the
>Likert scale data in PISA. All constructs in my study have high level of
>reliability and mostly demonstrate good multigroup invariance properties
>under CFA/SEM methods. Recently, I was introduced to the IRT methods and
>start to development new perspectives on measurement issues of the data at
>hand.
>In PISA, many of the motivational constructs are measured through Likert
>scales and were measured through well established constructs developed
>under the framework of CTT. Using IRT method, I found that the
>difficulties of items in these constructs are often clustered at middle or
>high levels of the trait. The Test Characteristic Curves are always peaked
>at one place rather than spread all over the trait levels. I guess this
>means that the latent variable is not realiable enough for all the levels.
>So I was wondering if these constructs are valid enough to use for further
>analysis or whether I should just stick to my old way of analying this
>data, i.e. using CFA/SEM and treating the likert data as if they were
>continuous.

Mike Linacre
Editor, Rasch Measurement Transactions
rmt at rasch.org www.rasch.org/rmt/ Latest RMT:  23:2 Autumn 2009