[Rasch] analysing CTT construct using IRT

Man Xu man.xu at education.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 28 02:58:51 EST 2009

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your help. I am definately not looking for a cutting off point here. I guess it is very nice when the instrument (set of items to measure the trait) is equally precise on the latent trait continuum. But I found this is unlikely to be true for the instruments developed under CTT because the items were simply created without taking "difficulties" into account. So there is always a peak somewhere for such data. If my purpose if not to get a precise cut off point but to evaluate say a particular model in educatioal psychology for all students where the path coefficients are my interests, would the precision still be a concern for me, apart from the fit indeces?

Kate