[Rasch] DIF studies for polytomous items

Mike Linacre (RMT) rmt at rasch.org
Sat Apr 17 21:02:06 EST 2010

Thank you for your question, Kenji.

DIF analyses are complicated, and often difficult to interpret.

The items are "polytomous" (= many cuts), not "polychromous" (= many colors).

Anchoring is always done with Rasch-Andrich thresholds, because they
produce a simpler expression of the Rasch model. Conversion between
Rasch-Andrich and Rasch-Thurstone thresholds requires some algebra,
http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt164e.htm

With the Facets software,

For uniform DIF, in your step 1: Models = ?B,..,?B produces the DIF
estimates. Step 2 is not needed. One "?" is for the group-identifying facet.

For non-uniform DIF, perform your step 1. Output an Anchorfile=.
In your step 2, do not anchor the thresholds or the item difficulties, but
do anchor the person measures in the two group analyses at their step 1
values. The person measures are in the step 1 Anchorfile=.

OK?

Mike L.