[Rasch] DIF studies for polytomous items

Kenji Yamazaki yk0271 at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Apr 20 02:34:18 EST 2010

Dr. Linacre,

  Thank you very much for your answer to my previous question.  I was wondering if I could ask you another question regarding the non-uniform DIF detection procedure in FACETS.

  The data set I have contains 139 residents whose competencies were evaluated by their supervisors.  In the step 1 analysis for non-uniform DIF detection, I found that 23 of the 139 residents were assessed with the maximum performance rating by all the raters and for all the items.  Facets
 provides these residents with estimated measure values with an indicator, "Maximum."

  My question is whether or not I could include these maximum measure values as anchors in the 2.  Instead, should I let the program estimate parameters freely for these high achievers?

  Kenji Yamazaki

  "Mike Linacre (RMT)" <rmt at rasch.org> wrote:
  Thank you for your question, Kenji.

DIF analyses are complicated, and often difficult to interpret.

The items are "polytomous" (= many cuts), not "polychromous" (= many colors).

Anchoring is always done with Rasch-Andrich thresholds, because they produce a simpler expression of the Rasch model. Conversion between Rasch-Andrich and Rasch-Thurstone thresholds requires some algebra, http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt164e.htm

With the Facets software,

For uniform DIF, in your step 1: Models = ?B,..,?B produces the DIF estimates. Step 2 is not needed. One "?" is for the group-identifying facet.

For non-uniform DIF, perform your step 1. Output an Anchorfile=.
In your step 2, do not anchor the thresholds or the item difficulties, but do anchor the person measures in the two group analyses at their step 1 values. The person measures are in the step 1 Anchorfile=.

OK?

Mike L.