[Rasch] logistic regression vs UCON

Rense Lange rense.lange at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:01:18 EST 2010

I have a situation where I already have person's location estimate, and
where an additional question with an unknown location estimate is answered
as well. So, across a sample I have a continuous variable together with, in
the case of binary items, 0 or 1's, and I want to estimate the item's
location.

I don't want to re-estimate everything simultaneously (e.g., using
Winsteps), but I want to do something incremental. My first thought is to
logistic regression, and using simulated data I found that this works quite
well (i.e. the recovered item locations resemble the ones used to generate
the data).

My problem is that (a) I'd like to use something simpler (and more efficient
to compute), and (b) I'd like a methods that also works for rating scale
type data. Perhaps, I should just implement UCON?

Rense Lange