[Rasch] complex sampling Rasch

Adams, Ray adams at acer.edu.au
Mon Feb 15 12:31:10 EST 2010

Randy,

The answer is a bit complicated. Let's put fit aside and assume the
Rasch model and your data are compatible.  Then, it depends upon the
modelling assumptions you make and your estimation method.  If you use
conditional maximum likelihood or a pairwise routine then the item
parameter estimates are sample free and so the sample design does not
influence the estimates.  If you use unconditional or marginal maximum
likelihood then "in theory" there may be some minor effects, but I've
never seen any evidence that it has any practical consequence.

In PISA we do not take the complex sample design into account when
estimating item parameters.

Ray