[Rasch] complex sampling Rasch

Adams, Ray adams at acer.edu.au
Tue Feb 16 09:56:49 EST 2010

(a)  This is effectively what happens.  Item parameters in PISA are
estimate using a "calibration sample".  The calibration sample is a
subsample of 500 students from each OECD country.  The subsample is
drawn using weights so that schools and students are appropriately
represented, and then with 500 per country each country has the same
influence on the item parameter estimates.

(b) PISA illustrates a potential for quite strong position effects.  To
control for this our test design, which has multiple test booklets,
makes sure that each item is located once in each of four locations:
first 30-minute cluster, second 30-minute cluster, third 30-minute
cluster and fourth 30-minute cluster.

Ray