[Rasch] CAT Questions

Mike Linacre (RMT) rmt at rasch.org
Thu Jan 28 16:11:21 EST 2010

Thank you for asking us, Ranganaths.

You asked:
>1. I am wondering how the IRT in its computer application version called
>CAT useful in accessing a student?.

Answer: CAT is useful and effective. Each student can have a customized
test with increased security and flexible test scheduling. relative to
paper-and-pencil tests.

You asked:
>2. What question types are used for CAT?

Reply: Any type that can be computer-scored. Multiple-choice questions are
the most common.

You asked:
>3. Which of the 3 models 1P, 2P and 3P is useful for a correct judgment of
>the student's ability?

Reply: In practice, 1P (Rasch) is the most practical model for item
selection and ability estimation for items scored right/wrong.

You asked:
>4. Which book is best suited to know the advanced form of IRT for the real
>application of it?

Reply: You could start with a Google search of www.rasch.org for documents
explaining basic CAT concepts. Then Google-search the Internet for
documents and books relating to more complex topics, such as CAT test
security and CAT item exposure.

OK?
Mike L.

Mike Linacre