[Rasch] CAT Questions

ranganaths ranganath.s at excelindia.com
Fri Jan 29 00:35:21 EST 2010

Hi,

     Thanks for the response. I still have a doubt about the practical
implementation of the IRT.

1. Lets assume that I have started IRT from scratch. I have a list of
questions to be administered to a group. For each of the question I know
only whether the question is easy, medium or hard, the values of

    the item parameters are unknown for me. Is it required to calibrate the
items in the test and find out the item parameters before it is
administered? If yes

2. Is it required to administer each and every new item to a sample group
ascertaining the item parameters before it is given to the real examinees?

3. What advantage does the IRT implementation gives to the tutor who is
supposed to take the remedial teaching, which anyway can also be taken from
any kind of conventional testing methodology?

4. I have read in an article that the CAT helps in reducing the test timings
and also it could be administered at time independent fashion still
measuring the examinees ability on the same scale, Are these the only
advantages of using IRT? IF any other advantage is there over the
conventional methodology please explain.

Regards,

Ranganath S

  _____