[Rasch] CAT Questions

ranganaths ranganath.s at excelindia.com
Fri Jan 29 22:28:10 EST 2010

Hello,

            Thanks for the response. I am referring to the book THE BASICS
OF ITEM RESPONSE THEORY by Frank Baker. In this book he says. I quote

"There are three different item characteristic curve models to choose from
and several different ways to implement the Birnbaum paradigm. From these,
the author has chosen to present the approach based upon the one-parameter
logistic (Rasch) model as implemented by Benjamin Wright and his coworkers
in the BICAL computer program. Under this model, each item has only one
parameter to be estimated. The procedures work well with small numbers of
test items and small numbers of examinees."

            We have a product which administers tests to thousands of people
and having hundreds of Items in the test. The above quote gives a warning
for such kind of applications. I wish to know If this is true which model
should be used for the kind of tests we are administering? Thanks once again
for the response.

Regards,

Ranganath S

  _____