[Rasch] RSM & PCM

Thomas Salzberger thomas.salzberger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 00:02:06 EST 2010

At 13:42 10.03.2010, you wrote:
>Thanks Thomas,
>It seems that these are just a set
>of  assumptions that we have about our data. I
>was under the impression that when we talk about
>unequal distances either within or across the
>items we model the distances and weight them
>accordingly. That is, each category gets a
>different score depending on its difficulty.
>Something along these lines. I think there are
>some models which requie this, aren't there?
>So we do not need to have such complicated modelling.
>We just choose the type of the analysis
>depending on what we think of our data. Right?

That is exactly right. Sometimes a common rating
scale makes sense. One could at least try it.
Obviously it does not make sense when the
categories are worded differently and it is
impossible to run the RSM when the number of categories varies.
(That said, you can actually have several RSMs
within your instrument with some items sharing a
common rating scale structure and others not.)

The important thing is that weighting category
scores (or, in general, item scores) is never
related to the difficulty of an item (we do not
weight difficult dichotomous items higher than
easy ones). This is always the case, even in general IRT.

Weighting refers to discrimination. In the 2pl,
items are weighted differently because of
different discrimination, not because of different difficulty.

In the RSM as well as in the PCM, the
discrimination is assumed to be equal as this is
a key property of the Rasch model.
However, in the PCM this fact is somewhat
obscured by the fact that different threshold
distances between items lead to ICCs which do intersect.
But at the level of each threshold, the latent
response curves are in fact parallel.

If it helps to illustrate the last point, I might
send you a graph from RUMM which illustrates this nicely.

Thomas