[Rasch] Value added models for teacher effectiveness

Schulz, Matt mschulz at pacificmetrics.com
Tue May 11 05:35:02 EST 2010

Colleagues,

Thought I'd share the following link with you all.  It's a paper that is critical of value-added models for evaluating teachers.  The value-added approach came up in a discussion following Brent Duckor's talk at the Rasch SIG meeting last week.  In that discussion, I described papers such as the one in this link.  It was my opinion that value added models are bad statistics, as opposed to the good measurement work described by Brent.   "Good" statistical practice includes, among other things, recognizing the limitations of one's statistics.

http://www.uh.edu/~adkugler/Rothstein.pdf

Matt Schulz

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CAF03D.361A3940]