[Rasch] Empirical order & Theoretical order

Tom Conner connert at msu.edu
Thu Nov 4 11:20:34 EST 2010

For sure number 1 is out of the problem based on well established
analytical grounds.  So the problem is choosing between 2 and 3 or
another alternative.  Between 2 and 3 I would opt for 3 based on my
experience as a survey researcher.  People predictably write bad items,
often because they think writing items is easy.  But there are ways of
evaluating and revising items.  If that is done then we are left with
theory revision or another alternative.  A possible other alternative is
the conditions of administration.  What do respondents think is going
on?  How will their responses be used and what consequences for
themselves do they envision?  How long is the instrument?  You can no
doubt add to this list.  Remember, this is research, not math.

Tom