[Rasch] Empirical order & Theoretical order

Parisa Daftari Fard pdaftaryfard at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 10:52:16 EST 2010

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry for being late in responding.
You can shape a Rasch model to be more in accordance with theory. Take the Lexile Framework for Reading, for example. This psychometric framework uses a modified version of the simple dichotomous item Rasch model. When person reading ability and item difficulty are equal, the item response probability is .75.

I guess you are right. As I mentioned before, my major is not statistics and I have learned to work with Rasch through conferences, classes, books and this great list.
Concerning Lexile, I think, based on my understanding, that it does not take skill-based approach into account and texts are mostly narratives. It approaches readability from text based factors whereas, text is only one side of the story although some believe that reading narratives and knowing words Will bring other skills automatically (Grabe, 2008 personal communication).

When items show good fit in Rasch but the orders are not expected, I believe that we have taken a wrong approach in our theory of cognitive ability say reading comprehension.

In a recent paper I examined item patterning through Dynamic assessment. Although the differences were not statistically significant, the result showed that after mediation I have a better and explainable item ordering in terms of cognitive difficulty. I approached to Reading dynamically than statically.

Best,
Parisa

Parisa Daftarifard
PhD student of TEFL