[Rasch] Why isn't the person separation better?

Stephen Humphry stephen.humphry at uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 1 22:12:50 EST 2010

Trudy, I may be missing something in your post, but good for a given separation in no way implies the separation should be high. The separtion depends on targeting, actual separation (as Tom said), and the discrimination at thresholds.

If you want to improve the separation index, systematically remove items with low threshold discrimination, which will tend to have higher Outfit. Items that previously had a higher discrimination may then have an acceptable discrimination, and the separation will tend to increase. This, in my view, is what should be done routinely rather than treating the average (roughly speaking) discrimination of the initial item set as the reference and omitting items with high (as well as low) discrimination. To fit the Rasch model, the criterion is uniform discrimination, not uniform discrimination that is necessarily equal to the initial 'average' discrimination.

Having said that, you don't necessarily want the separation too high--it can indicate unwanted dependencies from response set, halo effect or other such response tendencies.

Regards,

Steve