[Rasch] I have about 80 items on depression and anxiety for which I have about 100 participants.

Agustin Tristan ici_kalt at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 00:05:28 EST 2010

Hello Michael:
If the purpose is to have a screening test to detect anxiety (and another screen for depression), then you should look at the "critical" items representing the traits of anxiety.
As a first approach probably you do not need to have items uniformly distributed along the complete scale. To choose the critical items you may (a) ask the experts to choose the more representative set, (b) make a comparison among two groups of people showing anxiety and not showing anxiety according to the experts, (c) find the cut off point where a difference is obtained between both groups of persons.
A second approach can be done looking for those items where persons with anxiety show a misfit. It could happen that  those items able to detect a misfit on problematic patients could be the best suitable to be used for screening, while well behaved items on infit and outfit may be useful to get measures on a complete test for detailed analysis.
hope this helps
Agustin

FAMILIA DE PROGRAMAS KALT.
Ave. Cordillera Occidental  No. 635
Colonia  Lomas 4ª San Luis Potosí, San Luis Potosí.
C.P.  78216   MEXICO
 (52) (444) 8 25 50 76
 (52) (444) 8 25 50 77
 (52) (444) 8 25 50 78