[Rasch] Estimating Rasch Measures for Extreme Scores

Rense Lange rense.lange at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 00:46:38 EST 2011

Since getting better faculty seems out of the question, would this solve it?
Re-run twice using Facets.

   - Once use all items, including those giving "perfect" scores,
   - Once with the perfect items removed for each student/teacher getting
   perfect ratings.

Then plot the two sets of students/teachers? estimated parameters - they
should be very similar (Y = X). While you are at it, you could show the
probably non-trivial effects of differences in rater leniency/ severity on
the student/teacher evaluations.

Rense Lange

2011/4/29 Iasonas Lamprianou <liasonas at cytanet.com.cy>

> Dear colleagues,
> I rarely submit requests in this list unless it is urgent and important
> because I respect the time of the people who tend to reply most often. I
> would like to thank them. This time, it is important and that is why I
> politely request you to help me. The post is long, but it has to do with the
> problems Rasch-users face in the harsh world of academia. I think that the
> post concerns most of us.
>
> I am trying to help a student with her PhD thesis (so I am writing on her
> behalf). She submitted her thesis and her examiners spotted some problems
> and she has to address them.
>
> The problem: The PhD thesis is about the performance of students.  For each
> student participating in the study (N>1000), the researcher has his/her
> score on four subjects: language, science, maths and history. For each
> subject, each student has three teacher assessments which were awarded in
> January, March and June. Each score runs from E (Failure) to A (Excellent).
> So, overall, each student has three ordinal teacher assessment measures for
> each of four subjects. It is a typical repeated measures case for four
> variables/subjects with three measures per variable/subject.
>
> Design: Since the data are ordinal (E=1=Failure to A=5=Excellent) the
> researcher used a Partial Credit Rasch model with three  items  to build
> four Ability scales, one for each subject (the Rating Scale did not have
> good fit). Also, the student used all 12 scores (4 subjects X 3 measures) to
> produce one overall Ability  Academic Performance  measure. Then, the
> researcher used these Rasch ability measures as dependent variables to run
> OLS regressions.
>
> Issue 1:
> A serious problem spotted by the examiners is that a large proportion of
> students (around 20%) has perfect scores (three  A s) on some of the four
> subjects. The researcher used a Winsteps routine to find measures of ability
> for those students with extreme scores. The examiner has major reservations
> about the validity of this decision and asks whether these data (extreme
> scores) should be dropped. The examiner says:  If a Rasch analysis is to be
> used to derive attainment scores, the final distribution must provide a
> realistic representation of attainment. This means that the large group of
> candidates who achieve perfect scores (on the extreme right of the
> histograms) need to be properly represented. These scores need to be
> appropriately dealt with by Rash (if this is possible), or they need to be
> removed from the analysis (with an
> assessment made about the impact of the resulting loss of data).
> To the defense of the researcher, the distance between the  perfect score
>  and the  perfect-1  estimate is neither huge nor unreasonable: it is around
> 1.4 logits on a scale which extends from around -11 to 11 logits. When the
> researcher draws the scatterplot between raw scores and logits, the
> [...]

Rense Lange, Ph.D.
via gmail