[Rasch] Interval or nominal

Parisa Daftari Fard pdaftaryfard at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 16:18:37 EST 2011

Dear Rasch Members,

Greetings,

I have faced a complex situation and I hope to have your kind decisive comments. In a paper we are trying to investigate the possible bias of some native speakers answering a questionnaire on speech act. In that questionnaire, there are several situations and only one answer for each situation. Raters need to rate each response to that situation on five options likert scale  with 1 = very unsatisfactory, 2 = unsatisfactory, 3 = somehow appropriate, 4 = appropriate, and 5 = most appropriate.

for example,
1.   While eating in a restaurant, you notice an insect in your food. What would you say to complain to the waiter?

Answer:Hey man, come here. What the hell is it? Where on the earth do you cook your food?
1. very unsatisfactory  2. unsatisfactory  3. somehow appropriate  4. appropriate  5. most appropriate

or

1.      The teacher gave you a lower-than-expected grade in your exam. What would you say to complain?

Answer:Excuse me, something might have been wrong. It’s not my grade, sir.
1. very unsatisfactory  2. unsatisfactory  3. somehow appropriate  4. appropriate  5. most appropriate

The problem here is that the possible answer to some of the questions is 2, for some questions is 3,  for some other is 5 and the like. Of course, native speakers (raters) are the norms and there is no wrong or correct answer to each question. What we are trying to see is the way different native speakers from different cultures approach the appropriacy of the answer to that specific situation (bias and variation)

My Question is that What kind of scoring is this? nominal, ordinal or interval?
My second question is that is it possible to search for possible Bias in this type of research through Facet?
I should highly appreciate your reply beforehand.
Best,
Parisa Daftarifard