[Rasch] missing data advice needed

Mark Moulton markhmoulton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 11:28:54 EST 2011

Dear Carolyn,

So far as the Rasch analysis goes, I would leave the data missing, even
though zeros are a reasonable imputation in this case.  However, even if
they are reasonable they could distort the item difficulties in odd ways, so
I would leave them missing.

"Descriptive" statistics always assume complete data, so it is problematic
to leave the missing data in for that.  But it is also a little problematic
to leave the zeros, though less so.  What I would do myself is calculate the
expected values for all the missing cells, round them to zero or one, and
build your descriptive statistics using the resulting complete data matrix.
 The resulting descriptives will be about the best you could manage.

Winsteps reports cell level expected values (though maybe not for missing
cells -- I can't remember).  Or you could import the data into Excel, along
with person and item measures, and calculate the expected values using
something like:

Eni = if(Xni <> 9,Xni,round(exp(Bn - Di) / (1 + exp(Bn - Di)),0))

(Translation:  If the observed value is not missing, use that, otherwise
round the expected value (same as probability in this case) calculated using
person logit ability Bn and item logit difficulty Di.)

Mark Moulton