[Rasch] Fwd: Question Concerning Rasch Analysis on Weighted Stage Data

Michael Lamport Commons commons at tiac.net
Thu Jul 14 04:30:04 EST 2011

Here's my question about the Rasch analysis.

Question:

We have been trying to measure participants' stages of development via
surveys that participants to rate their preference for vignettes that
differ in their order of hierarchical complexity on a 1 to 6 scale.. The
vignettes are stories which show characters behaving at particular
stages. My first assumption which I am not sure is an appropriate
assumption, is that the items of greater difficulty -- higher order of
hierarchical complexity) will rate. To analyze the data following Bond
and Fox, we multiplied the response codes (Likert-scale-esque numbers
1-6) by item orders of hierarchical complexity to attain a weighted
score. We then run a Rasch analysis on the weighted scores.

Is Rasch analysis appropriate for this form of instrument. The "best"
one can score on in rating a vignette instrument is 6 on the highest
order question. But let us say the participant rates 6 on every item,
even those lower in order of hierarchical complexity and therefore
difficulty. According to our measurement system, the "best" one can
score is 6 on every item. Rasch inherently assumes that all items
measure the same thing, and that their measurement is INDEPENDENT of the
other items, but this is clearly not the case. Am I wrong, and is Rasch
appropriate here?

My Best,

Michael Lamport Commons, Ph.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor