[Rasch] Bunched versus spread out items to measure depression

Michael Lamport Commons commons at tiac.net
Sat Jul 23 21:25:32 EST 2011

We had people with a very wide range of depression from none to a lot.  We had a sample from listservs for depressed people and regular depressed people.  It might be that depression is not Guttman like, i.e. one does not have to be a little sad before one cries a lot and skulks, and before one stops leaving ones room.  We found it was just about how many items with about the same Rasch score predicted the amount of depression.  Many of the common depression scales such as the Hamilton and Beck seem to have the same property when we Rasch analyzed them.''

MLC