[Rasch] IOME 2012 VANCOUVER

Peter MacMillan peterm at unbc.ca
Sat Jun 11 08:25:29 EST 2011

Hello All,
	IOMW has normally taken place every two years just prior to AERA. As the last IOMW took place in Boulder Colorado in 2010 the next expected IOMW would be in Vancouver in 2012.	I have been making inquires of individuals in the Rasch community since Boulder in 2010; I have been unable to locate any group that claims the organization of IOMW or IOMW itself as their own. Although I was unable to attend the Rasch SIG meeting AERA 2011, I understand the matter was raised but there was no discussion that resolved anything. I see no reference to IOMW on any of the Rasch related websites. The www.Rasch.org site does not list it as occurring prior to AERA.
	As Vancouver BC is in my region (I am north of Vancouver), the organization of this conference seems a natural to me. Brian Bontempo (lives south of Vancouver) and I had discussed this at the Rasch conference in Denmark (Probabilistic models for measurement in education, psychology, social science and health, FUHU Conference Center) in June 2010. We had agreed that time that we would jointly organize this conference IOMW 2012 in Vancouver. At that time Brian extended a verbal invite to all present during the closing remarks of the conference. However Brian and I have not discussed the conference since that time. I will ask Brian to respond.
	While this seems to be an odd way to go about this, as there appears to be no visible group claiming responsibility for IOMW, and no discussion of the conference, I will initiate the planning of IOMW 2012 in Vancouver BC for the dates of April 11-12, 2012. I will begin making inquires about location based on a conference similar to IOMW 2010 i.e., room size, availability etc. I know that IOMW is low budget so that I will take that into consideration. I am pursuing several options for some funding assistance. The physical location only one of many aspects of a conference and perhaps a very minor one. The organization of themes, types of presentations, the call for submissions, the review and selection of submissions, and scheduling of sessions are some of the many tasks that lay ahead.
	This conference will require the expertise and assistance of many individuals more experienced than me. If you have been involved with IOMW before and wish to offer your expertise please let me know via return email. If you are new to this and wish to work on the conference also please let me know. If by chance you are part of a group that feels an "ownership" of IOMW and that you have been left out of the decision making, I would be very interested in hearing your concerns. As IOMW is not strictly Education (i.e. AERA, Rasch SIG) please forward this email to other groups that have traditionally been involved.
Cheers,
Peter

Peter D. MacMillan, PhD, Associate Professor
Chair (Education Graduate programs)  School of Education:
Cross Appointment with Community Health Science Program
University of Northern British Columbia
TAL 10-4026, 3333 University Way
Prince George BC V2N 4Z9 CANADA
TEL 250.960.5828 FAX 250.960.5536