[Rasch] Odds ratio as a scale

Anthony James luckyantonio2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 20:11:08 EST 2011

Thank you Svend and others,

The odds of success is defined as:
Odds= P(X=1)/P(X=0); (Ability ) B=p/1-p
Odds=proportion correct/proportion incorrect, such as
Person A:  Odds=.8/.2=4 ( person A has got 8 items right and 2 wrong, out of 10 items)
Person B: Odds=.9/.1=9
Person C: Odds=.6/.4=1.5
etc.

Apparently these odds are ratio measures. This means that person B is more than twice as better as Person A and six times better than person C.

My understanding is that everything start from Ability=p/1-p.
Then we take the log and then exponentiate etc.

Therefore the idea of p/1-p or (proportion correct/proportion incorrect) is an axiom.
 Mike's paper in RMT also implies this: http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt53d.htm

My question is about this axiom. Why do we accept it as a ratio scale measure?

Cheers
Anthony