[Rasch] Estimating Rasch Measures for Extreme Scores

Robert Hess Robert.Hess at ASU.edu
Sun May 1 06:55:08 EST 2011

The answer to your question is - Yes. I know because I have done this in
analyzing district results in large school systems (Mesa, Arizona - 34
schools and Scottsdale, Arizona - 26 schools). And furthermore I have done
this over multiple years. You may use teacher as a facet (based on the
discussions you presented earlier, you have to use teacher a facet) but I
strongly suggest you utilize school as a facet, since the teachers with in a
school may employ a uniquely different interpretation of your scales - in
this matter, you can determine if schools are a factor in your scaling. The
explanation you're really seek an answer to is what contributes to the
scoring/achievement of the students? It may well be that you actually have
an interaction between Teachers and Schools and if so Facets is capable of
providing an interpretation of this influence (again, something that I have
done). I have also done this on statewide data where raters within a scoring
center were examined for their potential contributions to the rating of
student performance (on six different elements of writing performance -
traits). It is not is difficult as it sounds. The real key will be and how
you layout your scoring key within Facets.
Between 1995 and 2002, I must to run over 4000 of this type of analysis
utilizing Facets. In fact, in 2004, I ran one for the state Board of
Education to validate the scoring strategies employed by the state
contractor for the writing exam.

Robert Hess
Prof. Emeritus of Educational Measurement & Evaluation
Arizona State University