[Rasch] Why Rasch?

Mark Moulton markhmoulton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 04:27:32 EST 2011

Anthony,
I became interested in Rasch out of a desire to build a stable foundation for a science of mental and psychological processes.  All science requires measurement.  All measurement requires a strict separation between the objects and instruments of measurement.  Only Rasch seemed to have that property.

To capture the full richness of mental states, the separability property of Rasch needs (among other things) to be generalized to multidimensional spaces, and variables not in the same dimension need to be rigorously related to each other.  Other models may do that better.  But for one dimension at a time, the current model is sufficient.

Mark Moulton

Sent from my iPad